ESCAPE FROM DOS 3
Your files will thank youby CHARLES JACKSON
Antic Staff Writer
Say goodbye to glitchy DOS 3 forever! Convert your files back to good old -DOS 2.0S. You'll need three blank disks and your DOS 3 Master Disk. You'll also need the BASIC version of Eric Verheiden's SEQDOS program from "Cassette Lookalike-Your Disk Drive" on page 81 of the July, 1984 Antic.
Many Atari programmers were bitterly disappointed
when they tried Atari's newest disk operating system last year. DOS
3 turned out to be flawed, slow and user-hostile.
Users had to correct the original DOS 3 versions with several obscure POKE statements from BASIC. All versions of DOS 3 store your programs in a format that is incompatible with virtually every other disk operating system. DOS 3 keeps each utility in a separate file. These utilities must be individually loaded or copied from the DOS 3 Master Disk before you can use them.
The final blow is that DOS 3 does not allow you to re-convert your programs back into DOS 2.0S after you converted them to DOS 3. Your only choice was retyping the whole program listing to SAVE on a DOS 2 disk ... until today
PREPARING THE SEODOS DISKS:
1. Using the SEQDOS.BAS program, prepare one SEQDOS disk with DOS 2 files, and one SEQDOS disk without DOS 2 files. (See Verheiden's article for instructions.)
2. Boot your DOS 3 Master Disk. Initialize the remaining disk with option "I." (Remember to type Y to write the FMS.SYS file.) You should also copy the KCPSYS, KCPOVER.SYS and CONVERT.UTL files from your Master Disk to this disk.
3. Return to the DOS 3 menu and use the "A" option to convert your SEQDOS.BAS program (the one you just typed in) to DOS 3.
4. RUN the converted SEQDOS.BAS program. The computer will print:
'PRESS RETURN TO FORMAT?"
Then press the [BREAK] key and type DOS.
5. When the menu appears, type [S]. Then, type:
The computer will print:
This is your SEQDOS + DOS 3 disk. Remove it and put a write-protect
tab on it.
At this point, you should have three disks: A SEQDOS disk, a SEQDOS + DOS 2 disk, and a SEQDOS + DOS 3 disk. You're now ready to convert any BASIC program from DOS 3 to DOS 2.
USING THE SEODOS DISKS:
1. Boot the SEQDOS + DOS 3 disk, then insert the disk containing the program to be converted. LOAD (or ENTER) your program.
2. Insert your SEQDOS disk and type CSAVE [RETURN].
3. Boot your SEQDOS + DOS 2 disk then insert your SEQDOS disk. Type CLOAD [RETURN].
4. Your converted program is now in the computer's memory. It
can be SAVED or LISTed to any DOS 2 disk.